Monday, September 25, 2006

September Book Selection: 1984 by George Orwell

This is a book I have read many times, as has many people out there. It's part of many High School English programs, and has been made into a movie, which I suppose isn't all too shocking. Its premise has been borrowed by countless other works in many different forms of media. So why am I featuring it as my selection this month?

Well, simply put, I think that this book requires reading at several different points in life. I read it outside of the curriculum while I was a student and it scared the pants off me then, though I will admit, I didn't understand it all too well. I read it again at 20, understood more and was scared more. I read it again last weekend, with the current global situation and several Orwellian Clones well intrenched in recent memory, and it brought me nearly to tears. I am afraid to read it again, though I'm sure I will someday, if only because I am curious as to what new truths I will later find within its pages.

The point is this: there are some novels out there that are required reading for more reasons that simple appreciation of the english language. This is an important and often overlooked work that has more power in its first chapters than most everyday fiction can boast in their entirety. If you have not read this book recently (or, dare I wonder, ever), I highly suggest picking up this book at your soonest conveniece. Though you may be wise in avoiding it on days otherwise reserved for cheer.

1984 by George Orwell
More Editor Selections

No comments: